Douglas Fir Christmas Tree Description.
Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) also called red fir, Oregon pine and Douglas-spruce. Douglas fir is the one most common evergreen tree in the Pacific Northwest and is the State tree of Oregon, it’s the source of most of Oregon’s softwood lumber industry. Nearly have half of the Christmas Tree gown are Douglas Fir.
Douglas firs are gorgeous,lush, robust and impressive tree It’s popularity as Christmas tree comes from its pyramidal shape and soft, short needles and great needle retention. The tree needles are blue-green,flat, pointed that are spiral about 2” long. The needles are soft and radiate out from the branches in all directions, and emit a sweet holiday scent. The needles are plush to the touch. The branches are flexible are able to hold heavier ornaments. The White house choose the Douglas fir 2016 on the Executive Mansion. If you’ve grown up with the tradition of having a fresh Christmas tree during the holidays, it’s most likely that your family had a Douglas Fir.Douglas Fir is an ideal family Christmas tree and never disappoints.
Douglas Fir Branch and Needles.
Picking the Best Douglas Fir.
– Ask when the trees were cut and where they came from. Most of the big box stores cut trees weeks before shipping. The less time and distance, the better are your changes of having a healthy trees during the holidays.
– Check the needles for retention. Take a branch and pull along the length of the branch. It’s normal needles to drop from toward the trunk and drop less needles toward the end of the branches. The end of the branch should be green and firmly attached.
– Needles also should not snap when they’re bent between a thumb and forefinger.
– Look for straight trunks and pleasing shape to the tree.
– Make sure they make a fresh straight cut on end of the trunk to make sure the tree’s are able to take up water.
– No need to add bleach, aspirin or preservatives to the water. plain tap water works fine
– It’s best to get a tree from family owned bushiness not a national big box store.